General Masquerade Rules
- You must have a badge for Popcult Anime Con 2020 to participate.
- The online application form must be submitted at least one week before the convention starts.
- You must submit audio for performances before the convention. On stage mics will be available.
- You must check in:
- If competing in craftsmanship, before your judging time.
- If only performing, before masquerade rehearsal. (Time will be in your acceptance email.)
- You cannot enter multiple costumes or multiple times.
- Rehearsal will be held Saturday Morning between 9am and 11am.
- At con registration for the Masquerade might be available. To apply, arrive early Saturday and check at Masquerade HQ.
- You cannot compete if you are on Popcult Anime Con staff.
- Your performance must be kept PG-13.
- You must be 17 or older to enter without guardian consent. If you are 16 or under, you will need to bring a completed parental consent form to the convention. Click here for a printable pdf form.
Options for Entering the Masquerade
Craftsmanship: you ONLY want to be judged on the construction and accuracy of your cosplay(s).
Performance: you ONLY want to be judged on your performance as the character(s).
Both: you want to be judged on the construction and accuracy of your cosplay(s) AS WELL AS your performance as the character(s).
Novice: You have little to no experience cosplaying or performing in a masquerade (Awards: 0-2).
Advanced: You have experience cosplaying or performing in a masquerade (Awards: 3+)
Cosplay & Craftsmanship Rules
- Source material for cosplay can come from anime, manga, video games, comics, graphic novels, movies, or tv shows.
- If you wish to submit a costume based on fan art etc. please contact email@example.com. The masquerade department reserves the right to deny eligibility.
- Cosplay must follow dress code and weapon policy. (See Below.)
- If the costume has previously won an award, it will not be accepted into the masquerade.
- Skit time limits are as follows:
- Single participant: 1 minute
- 2-3 participants: 2 minutes
- 4+ participants: 3 minutes
- Audio Should:
- Not contain profanity or offensive language.
- Be in .mp3 format.
- Be devoid of audio defects.
- Be clear and concise.
Please submit your audio BEFORE the convention.
We reserve the right to not accept it, or request changes so it can meet requirements.
- If your skit has a stunt or shocking part, please contact the masquerade staff for approval.
- No more than 9 people will be allowed on the stage during the skit including stage ninjas.
- Your outfit should not expose more than what is considered appropriate at a pool or beach. A bikini or swim trunks, for example.
- Footwear must be worn at all times and you will not be allowed into the hotel restaurant area without proper shoes. Our definition of ‘footwear’ is that you must have a pad between the bottom of your foot and the floor. To enter the restaurant however, you need to at least be wearing flip-flops or a shoe with more coverage.
- If your character requires body paint, be sure to seal it!! Please be respectful of the hotel, other cosplayers and overall shared convention space while in your paint.
- If you are concerned about your cosplay please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Absolutely no live steel. Includes swords, knifes, etc.
- No projectile weapons unless non-functional. Includes Airsoft, BB guns, dart guns, etc.
- Prop guns must have an orange tip that is clearly identifiable.
- Prop weapons made of foam, wood, Worbla, plastic, etc. are acceptable, but must be checked at Cosplay HQ.
- PCAC Staff reserves the right to deny clearance of any prop or weapon considered unsafe at our event.
- If you are concerned about your prop(s) please contact email@example.com.