Join us Saturday, August 15 @ 6pm*
on Twitch & Google Hangouts for
PopCult Anime Con’s Virtual Masquerade!
Cosplaying contestants vie for one of six prestigious PCAC Masquerade Ribbons and titles.
Audience participation! Cosplay techniques! Community building! Shenanigans!
PopCult Anime Con Virtual Masquerade Rules & Regulations
- The online application form must be submitted by August 12th, and photos submitted within 24 hours of signup to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If accepted, you will receive an email with more information shortly after the August 12th cutoff date.
- You cannot enter multiple costumes or multiple times.
- Contestants are required to check into the online meeting (links will be provided) one hour before the contest starts. You must be in your cosplay for the duration of the live stream.
- You cannot compete if you are on PopCult Anime Con staff.
- Your photos and costume must be PG-13.
- Due to the online nature of this event, you must be 18 or older to enter.
Cosplay Source Rules
- Source material for cosplays can come from anime, manga, video games, comics, graphic novels, movies, or tv shows.
- If you wish to submit a costume based on fan art etc. then please contact email@example.com. The masquerade department reserves the right to deny eligibility.
- Cosplays must follow the PopCult Anime Con dress code.
- If the costume has previously won a major award (i.e. placing or Best in Show) at any event, it will not be accepted into the masquerade.
Options for Entering the Masquerade
Process/Craftsmanship: you ONLY want to be judged on the construction and accuracy of your cosplay.
Photo: you ONLY want to be judged on your photos and presentation as the character.
- Only one person per entry please.
- Please provide a description and photos detailing the process in making your costume. You can send it via email, or if you have a link to, for example, a google slides document, we can accept that too. Failure to provide material before the August 12th deadline will cause disqualification.
- Examples of things to include are any new techniques you learned while making this particular costume. What element do you think is the best? What were some unexpected challenges? Close up photography of details. Images that portray all angles of your costume. At least a front, back and side view.
- Please include some Work In Progress photos! We want to see YOU making the cosplay!
- Please limit the amount of images to 20 maximum.
- This category will go before a panel of judges and evaluated before the event. The judges will be asking specific questions of the contestants during the livestream.
Photo Contest Rules
- If you are entering as a group, one person must be designated spokesperson. Only one attendant per entry will be allowed for the live streaming event.
- There will be two parts to the photo contest: a vote from the judges, and vote from the virtual attendees.
- Please provide a description and photos of your costume. Photos can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to provide material before the August 12th deadline will cause disqualification.
- There is a maximum limit of 6 photos for the photo contest.
Novice: You have little to no experience cosplaying or performing in a masquerade (Awards: 0-2).
Advanced: You have experience cosplaying or performing in a masquerade (Awards: 3+)
- Your outfit should cover what is appropriate at a pool or beach (i.e. a bikini or swim trunks would be fine).
- If you are concerned about your cosplay please contact PopcultMasquerade@gmail.com and ask.
- Example of OKAY cosplay: Yoko from Gurren Lagann
- Example of NOT OKAY cosplay: Female Titan from Attack on Titan with just pasties.