Anime Music Video Contest
The deadline is July 29th, 2018, at 11:59pm EST. No deadline extensions will be given.
Please Read the General Rules fully before submitting entries!
PopCult Anime 2018 AMV Contest Submission Form
- Minimum specifications:
- All video submissions must be at least 720p. Anything lower resolution will not be accepted. Your footage quality may affect your overall chances of getting into the contest. Make sure you check for artifacting, stray frames, etc.
- Please try to keep your video file size smaller than 350mb. Zarx264gui is a free and straight forward program used to compress large file sizes; please search for tutorials
should you need any (Google is your friend!).
- Your entry should be at least 75% animation or video game footage that originated in Japan. If your multi-anime video features a few seconds of Korra, that’s fine. If your
video is entirely Avatar the Last Airbender, that’s not fine (but I’m sure it’s a great vid).
- Videos must be in a format that can be read by VLC Media Player.
- Every participant is allowed one (1) entry. If you are attending the convention, you are allowed one additional entry, for a total of two (2) entries. Being listed on a multi-editor project (MEP)
video submitted counts as one of your video entries.
- PLEASE!! Title your entries as follows: “Studio Name – Video Title – Song – Artist.mp4”
- Studio name: Your name as you would like it to appear on the ballot.
- Video title: Your video title as you would like it to appear on the ballot.
- Song: The name of the song.
- Artist: The name of who sings the song/where you got the audio from.
- Acceptable framerates are 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, and 30. If your video does not meet these specifications, it may/will be converted to the nearest acceptable framerate.
- Please check over your submission form before sending it in. Do not send in a submission form without a video link!
- All submissions must be made over a cloud-based file sharing service that is accessible to the public (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.). YouTube will not work!
- No studio bumpers or credits before or after your video. Your video may be disqualified for containing these.
- The following are grounds for immediate disqualification:
- Subtitles (including “fansubs”) of any nature (if the subtitles are added by the editor for the video, it will be considered on a case-by-case basis);
- Audio from a commercial English-language dub;
- Studio logos, TV watermarks, video encoder watermarks—pretty much any logo or watermark that you did not put for parody purposes;
- Sexually explicit lyrics, excessive curse words (keep it PG-13), or otherwise explicit lyrics;
***Nudity, sexual content, or excessive gore/violence will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but it will usually get you disqualified.
- If there are issues with your AMV file (a playback issue or a content issue) and you submit before July 27th, you will be notified and given the chance to re-upload by the 29th deadline.
- Freshness Rule: AMVs must have been created on or after July 1st, 2017.
- Anti-Trolling Policy: AMVs that have won more than one first-place category award (for example, “Best Drama,” “Best Action”, etc.), a “Best in Show” award, or a general “First Place” award, will be disqualified.
- This does not include any judge’s choice, coordinator’s choice, runner-up, or honorary mention awards. Send those to us!
- The categories this year are:
- Drama: Includes dramatic videos, romance, sentimental, emotional—these videos should tell a story or convey a specific emotion.
- Action: Includes videos that get your blood pumping, using anything from sports, to battle scenes, to whatever you can make exciting.
- Upbeat: Includes comedy, dance, rhythm, fun—these videos tend to be positive and make the audience smile.
- Additional categories may be created by the judge panel if entries warrant it. If you do not know what category your video falls under, please select “Unsure” on the submission form and the category will be selected for you.
- Finalists will be determined by a panel of judges of both AMV creators and non-creators. It is a blind selection; please do not put anything in your AMV that includes your studio, name, etc.
- PopCult Anime Convention staff are not permitted to be considered in the contest.
- By submitting to the PopCult Anime Convention AMV contest, you agree to your video being used at future PopCult Anime Conventions.
- The AMV Contest Coordinator reserves the right to reject a video on any basis without warning.